Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 2 hours 30 minutes
Ask Ken for 4 large lamb shanks
2 tbsps plain flour
2 red onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
100ml balsamic vinegar
500ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato purée 2 tbsp
rosemary a sprig
new potatoes 1kg, peeled and cut into small chunks
thyme 2 large sprigs, leaves only
mint 4 large sprigs, leaves only, chopped
1. Put the oven on 150°C/ fan 130°C/ gas mark 2.
2. Dredge the lamb shanks with the flour and season.
3. Heat a casserole dish and add a little butter and olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft, then scoop out.
4. Taking your time, make sure you brown each shank all over. Put the onions back in the casserole with the garlic, balsamic, red wine, tomato purée, rosemary and season well.
5. Cover, put in the oven and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes or until the meat is almost falling off the bone.
6. If the juices seem too thin, remove the lamb from the casserole and keep warm. On a high heat, reduce the juices to thicken.
7. Serve the lamb shank with a mound of mash and drizzle the juices over the top.