Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour 30 minutes
From frozen: Defrost fully, cook for 1-1½ hours at 160°C/fan or 140°C/gas mark 3
Ask Ken for 500g minced Welsh lamb
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
500ml beef stock
900g potatoes, cut into chunks
3 tbsp milk
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and carrots. When the onions have softened, turn up the heat, crumble in the minced lamb and brown. (Tip off any excess fat they may appear).
2. Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few minutes. Pour over the stock, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes, (uncover after 20 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/ gas mark 4, then make the mash. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, then mash with the butter and milk.
4. Once the mince mixture is cooked, put it into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and using a fork fluff up the potato into peaks.
5. Now bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
To freeze your Shepherd’s Pie, stop after stage 4.
To bake from frozen, cook at 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3 for 1-1½ hours until piping hot in the centre and the mince is bubbling through at the edges. Flash under the grill to brown, if necessary.